Monday, July 28, 2008

California Bans Trans Fat

In yet another food related story (honestly, this blog isn't really about food), last week the California legislature made it illegal for restaurants and bakeries to use trans fats. I have big time mixed feelings about this. Sure, I'd like us all to eat healthier, and would love to see trans-fat disappear from the menus of my favorite places to eat...but isn't this encroaching a bit on our freedom? I mean, it's our bodies...and no one is breathing our "second hand fat" or being killed by drivers under the influence of trans-fat laden pastries. Still, I know that obesity problems take a tole on our healthcare systems, especially when hospitals are forced to pay for emergency care for the un-insured. But I don't think the answer is to make anything un-healthy illegal.

Comments?

No comments:

Post a Comment