Wednesday, June 15, 2011

My Wildflower Experiment



It all started in 2010...the second summer we had spent in our new home. Our first summer had been spent unpacking with little time to even consider what to do with our yard. The next April greeted us with unexpected wild Primroses (my favorite Texas wildflower), and I wondered what other surprises lay hidden waiting to bloom? So, I decided to let our backyard grow wild and find out (and then our lawn-mower broke for a while and things went a little more wild than planned...but I still am happy that I tried it out, because I discovered a lot of beauties along the way). Here's a chronicle of what I discovered.

2010 - The Beginning

May
The Discovery
Primrose Sky (More Primrose Pictures)

June
More Wildflowers!

July
The Experiment Continues

August
Weeds
Yet More Surprises
Alas, Time to Mow

It was a fun experiment. I learned that a lot of beautiful things will grow in my garden if I just leave it alone...but that eventually, it will turn into a jungle and kill a lot of your grass.  So, going on from here, I've decided to do selective weeding and mowing.  That means being diligent about weeding what I don't want, while being careful to mow around the wildflowers and tall tufted grasses that I love.

EXPERIMENT UPDATES
Below you'll find updates on the current state of my backyard and how the process of working towards a "tamed" yard wild plants in going.

6 comments:

  1. What a neat idea to let nature run its course!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not without its hiccups...but it has it's gifts. :-)

      Delete
  2. It's lovely!
    Hope you'll stop by to share your photos at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2015/07/bug-eyes.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did. Thanks a bunch for the invite!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful experiment! I featured your photo for Flower Friday today.

    ReplyDelete