Friday, April 01, 2011

About Me

Hi, and welcome to Texifornia...the blog for Californians in Texas and Texans in California!  Which one am I?  Read on...

I was born in California. Until I was 10 I lived on a big, yellow, converted Navy launch named SNAFU  (since this is a family friendly blog we'll just describe that acronym like my parents did:  Situation Normal All Fowled Up). Here it is....





...and there's me.  It was a unique life:  the biggest swimming pool on earth right out our back door, but also very little living space, a sailor's sway that I took with me to class, and quite a bit of isolation.  My mom got sick of it eventually just about two minutes after I was born...but it took years to convince my dad to sell the boat, and then more years to actually find someone to buy it.  I don't know whatever happened to the boat I grew up on.  Would love to know, if anyone's seen a boat like this chugging along somewhere. 

So, then we moved to the mountains (my parents didn't care for big cities)....




Twin Peaks, specifically  (yep...same name as that TV show.  Different city though)!  We loved living up right in the middle of all that beauty.

Then I went to college, met and fell in love, and followed the man who would become my husband to Texas...where there are no mountains (um, at least not the 5,000 ft high mountains like the ones I had lived in)  and the oceans were brown (Galvaston) and summers are 110 degrees (at least)!   Needless to say, I was homesick!  And so, Texifornia.com started...a little site for Californians from Texas, and Texans from California.

This blog started out mostly as a place to post news for Texifornians, and I still do that, but it's become more a place to post photos, share about places I've been, talk about my crazy gardening "techniques", and share about our backyard wildlife

I've been in Texas over ten years now and have learned to love a lot about it...the wildflowers, the sunsets, the slower pace of living!  I still miss California sometimes, but I'd miss Texas too if I left (except for the allergies and that 100 degree heat!).

(UPDATE:   In August 2017 I moved back to California and am currently living in San Diego.  I DO miss the dear people I got to know in Texas, but not the heat or the allergies!)

Well, wherever you're blogging from, glad you're passing through!  And if you happen to be a Texifornian yourself, I'd love to add your blog to my blogroll and maybe interview you on the blog, so please let me know!


(Me at the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center in Austin...
beautiful place if you ever get a chance to visit!)

May God Bless your Day!



Ultimate Blog Party 2011

This post was originally written for the The Ultimate Blog Party, a huge blog hop put on by 5 Minutes for Mom.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Gale! Thanks for stopping by my Zoo! (And for your smile too!)

    I would LOVE to raise my kids on a boat! That sounds GREAT to me! I can't let my daughter see your blog...she'll get ideas!

    Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blog.... so happy to find your blog...what a fun party
    Hope you will stop by...I have some extra giveaways that require nothing but a comment...no jumping through hoops.
    Teresa
    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/

    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a Texan from Texas, so I have grown to love the brown ocean and the 110 degree summers. (Ha!)

    It is nice to meet you. It is so very interesting that you lived on a boat. I am sure you have some great stories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey thanks for stopping by my blog, I have never met anyone who lived on a boat, how cool is that! Did you go fishing a lot? I love to garden as well, and I am excited to here more posts from you about it, cause I am not very good at it!

    Carlee,
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool to have lived on a boat! What an experience!!!

    Happy UBP again!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Howdy from a native-Texan still living in Texas (the Dallas-Fort Worth area)! That boat looks pretty rad, but I can't imagine LIVING on it. Must have been quite a childhood indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:38 AM

    wow!! what an adventure you've had growing up! The mountains must have been a beautiful place to live for a while! Nice meeting you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! Love your blog and just hit "Follow" button. Find me at www.way2goodlife.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gale....thanks for visiting my blog today...im a Texifornian tooo....born and raised and thats where i was moving from when i got out of that ticket. Lol...good to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an adventure!
    I found you at #ThrowbackThursdayLP.

    ReplyDelete