Monday, August 22, 2011

Mountain Views

The pictures below show a few of my favorite things about summer in the San Bernardino Mountains where I grew up.  We were blessed to have been able to take a trip back there this August. 


Stopping to look at the view on Rim of the World Highway.



The view from Dad's porch.

 My Old Back Yard
Close up of the red wildflowers growing there.

The Strawberry Peak Fire Tower
Twin Peaks, CA

The view from the Strawberry Peak Fire Tower.

The view coming down the "shortcut" trail
in back of the tower.  Strawberry peak is a gorgeous place to hike.



Wildflowers coming back down the Rim.
(These are beautiful...but the best are when the Yarrow is
blooming...the smell is amazing!)


When I told people here in Texas I was from California, I'd often get asked, "Aren't you happy to be out of there?"...as if it were a place I should have liked to flee from.  I don't think they realized what I'd left. 
 
Back then I was so homesick for these mountains.   I've grown comfortable with Texas now and don't often long for California like I used to...but being in Twin Peaks this past week felt like home in a way that I don't know if Texas ever will.








Unknown Mami





7 comments:

  1. It would be impossible not to miss that beauty.

    I am a bit partial to California, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up in Redlands! And California is definately NOT a place to flee! Love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:01 PM

    When I lived in Missouri during college, I was always asked that same question. Many people have this idea that California is this awful place with "looney's" and silly politicians. At least that is putting it mildly.

    When I was young all I wanted to do is get out of California but now I've grown accustomed to it. I love having the desert, the ocean, and the mountains all within driving distance.

    As far as natural wonders - California is my home. Yosemite, Sequoia, Big Sur, Monterey, Lake Tahoe ... the list can go on. Not to mention the not so "famous" places like Daffodil hill, Apple hill, and Grass Valley.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mention many places I love Sara! So it's not just Texans that say that about California's "fruits and nuts?," huh?

    I think so many people want to get away from where they were when they were young. Everyone in the mountains where I lived wanted to get away...except me, because we had moved there from living on a boat, and we had wanted to get away from THAT. (Honestly, I wrote in 1st grade I think that I wanted to live in "a house on a big hill" and you can't get a much bigger "hill" than the one we were on!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:22 AM

    These pictures are so absolutely beautiful! I've always wanted to visit California, and this makes me want to go even more. My husband has been to San Diego (which he would move to in a second) and San Francisco which he loved, too, but this is just gorgeous. It just looks so peaceful and safe. In fact, some of these pictures are so lovely that they could be in a poster and/or calendar. I literally feel this wave of calmness come over me when I look at them...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those mountains always made me feel like that in person too. When I was living there if I had a fight with my parents or something like that I would just head out into the woods and would been feeling better soon.

      And actually, I DID make two of those into posters...I put them in my Texifornia "Souvenir" shop: http://www.zazzle.com/texifornia/gifts?cg=196406857279974251&st=ranking&sd=asc

      San Diego is beautiful too...my husband is from there.

      I hope you get to visit someday.

      Delete
  6. Such beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete