Wednesday, October 01, 2014

31 Days...Postponed Until Next Year...

THIS SERIES IS BEING POSTPONED UNTIL NEXT YEAR

I was very excited to do this, but after the posting this and then mulling over ideas today,  I just didn't feel at peace about going forward with the  "31 Days of Blogging" challenge right now.   But I love the idea of this topic, so, provided we are still in Texas this time next year, I will give it another shot.






MY ORIGINAL POST:


I believe it is so important to vote, but more than that, it's important to be a GOOD VOTER.  What does that mean?  Well, primarily, I believe that means researching your vote.   It means learning about the issues and learning about the candidates.  And, it's scary how many people vote without doing this.

  • I first learned about this problem when I was still a teen.  Our high school English teacher assigned us to research and defend ballot measures (which in California, where I grew up, all voters get to vote on).  After we gave our presentations, my teacher surprized me by saying "You all are probably know more about these bills than most of the people who will be voting on them."  
  • In college I read a study of voters in local elections.  In the Texas town they studied only 4% of people voted in local elections, and when they polled people on why they voted for who they voted for, a large number knew very little about voters, but voted based on things like "I like their name better" or "I like the way he looks better."   Unfortunately, I've met enough people along the way that have told me they voted based on things like that, or just as trivial.

So, that's why I wanted to focus on "getting ready to vote" for the 31 day blogging challenge.  I AM NOT going to push my political views on you (save the view that no one should "take a wild guess for their country").  What I plan to do in daily posts this October is show you how to research your vote, so that you can vote in a way that truly supports YOUR views.   As you notice from the graphic above, I'm going to focus on voting in TEXAS, but some of the information I'll cover over the first few days will be helpful in preparing anyone to vote.  

But that doesn't mean I don't want to hear YOUR political views.  I'm hoping the comments section will be a place to share thoughtful, well researched opinions on the candidates.  Also, later this month I will posting up a linky encouraging Texas bloggers to share what their opinions on the TX candidates and measure this year.    That will be posted some time in the next week.

I hope you'll join me for this journey.    

'Gale

  

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:37 PM

    4%?? That is insane. And unbelievable people will vote for things based on someone's name. That is not the way to get things changed! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An informed voter is so important! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT! You are waiting a whole year?! That's okay, I understand. Thanks for stopping by and introducing yourself on messymom.com though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is my first year homeschooling, I'm flying single for a while while my hubby is on a contract job, AND after that job is over we might be moving, so...and it just hit me over the head that this was a stupid time to jump into a big blogging project. This is such a good time of year to do a 31 days voting series though...right before elections in November! I really, really, wish I could do it.

      Delete