Only a clever human can make a real Joke about virtue, or indeed about anything else; any of them can be trained to talk as if virtue were funny.
- Quote from "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis
That's the quote I found for The Friday 56. a fun little meme I just stumbled on. Here's how it works...
* Grab the book nearest you. Right now.
* Turn to page 56.
* Find the fifth sentence.
* Post that sentence (plus one or two others if you like) along with these instructions on your blog or (if you do not have your own blog) in the comments section of this blog.
* Post a link along with your post back to this blog.
* Don't dig for your favorite book, the coolest, the most intellectual. Use the CLOSEST.
Well, technically the closest book was the phone book...which I passed over since 56 is full of names and numbers, and the fifth person might not appreciate me posting their name and number here. The second closest book was "Roadside Flowers of Texas" and page 56 was all flower pictures...not enough text to make up 5 sentences.
But the third closest book was "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis - and what a quote it was!
If you're not familiar with The Screwtape Letters, it's a book of "letters" from a demon to a younger demon on how to "befuddle" a human. Good read! (Great listen too. There's an audio version read by John Cleese which I spent nearly a year listening too over and over again in my car. )