Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Garden Bloom Day - My Backyard Experiment

Well, August took it's tole on my garden. Not much blooming, and not much could have pulled me out there to plant anything else. Here's one of the survivors...


That one I actually planted.

This next one is a weed. 

No, not a wildflower...a weed

As some of you may remember, this summer I did 
an experiment in my yard, called "don't mow and see what grows."
(OK, I mowed the front yard, but not the back). 

  Through May, June and July I discovered one beautiful wildflower after another.
And then August hit. The only thing blooming in my yard, other than 
the flowers above and my basil bush, were these...


 Ah, doesn't it look pretty and daisy-like?

UNTIL you see what it grows on
...this bramble of a bush that was taking over my yard!

It was time to mow!

I've only gotten half the yard done.  
I'll show the comparison pictures tomorrow for Foliage Follow-up Day.

(Update:  Click on Foliage Follow-up link above
to see more blooms that weren't there when I posted this.) 


8 comments:

  1. It's a very cute weed, and you do have to admire its tenacity. The white of the flowers looks very fresh and cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to decide what that is. Looks like a windflower but too late. The ones at the top look like zinnias but maybe they are Blackfoot daisies. Or maybe erigeron. Do you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I've had the volunteer daisy show up in my garden. Does it get really tall and bloom on lots of sidebranches? Maybe an aster or some kind of fleabane. Your grass looks just like mine did yesterday (last week's rain just gave it a big boost).

    ReplyDelete
  4. aloha,

    what a great name for your blog, this is my first time visiting, i love the humor....those are very sweet volunteers indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:13 PM

    I like your experiment. The daisy is pretty, but a little out of control? That would not be much wanted, I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was attracted by the name of your blog. Interesting combination of cultures.

    Your first picture certainly appears to be Blackfoot daisies. They do very well for me here near the Gulf Coast of Texas. They are tough plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great experiment! What a sweet little flower.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are really pretty. THe only wildflowers we get are dandilions- and my son cries when my husband mows them.

    I just wanted to say thanks for visiting my blog! I loved your idea about stringing up the socks on a clothesline- we have plenty of mismatches from my older boy to do that! I'm tempted to do that as a laundry room decoration.

    ReplyDelete